Aug 26, 2011
Red Sky in Morning...
...Sailors Take Warning!
this was the sky over the beach here early today...
You don't have to go home... but you can't stay here!
The East Coast Surfing Competition was going on here and had to come to an abrupt halt, kind of a shame they have to dismantle all the scaffolding and tents, since for surfers this would be some of the best waves seen this side of Hawaii!
We are still poised to get slammed, even to the old timers in this area this will be the worst storm probably since the one that created many parts of our city back in 1938, as of this morning we are expecting 110-120 mph here on what is basically the Northern "Outer Banks", and expect to see 12-15 inches of rain. At this point the generator may be a moot point for the well pump since it may be submerged, but short of the comfort of showers, we will still have plenty of drinking H20 available and have some plastic drums of water outside that we'll use and continue to collect that rain in to use for flushing, so basically backcountry camping in the city LOL. Hopefully by the time it gets further Northeast it will fall down to a manageable Cat 1 storm. The Cat 1's are what we normally get and other than a real inconvenience they are easily weathered without evacuation unless you have a special circumstance such as prone to severe flooding or a medical situation. We'll do our best down here to slow it down and break it up!
Evacuations have started for parts of our city, most of us have been advised to stay put. They will close the flood gates on the tunnels soon so evacuations have a limited time frame here. The Naval Hospital has issued an order (yes, they can do that to civilians LOL) for all pregnant spouses over 38 weeks to get to the hospital and stay there until services will be available again in the community. The Naval Hospital is on the other side of the tunnel, so if one would need them after Saturday at about 3 pm, they'd be out of luck. I just got word that Navy Relief Society is issuing funds to families with deployed servicemembers to help them get out of town, which is fantastic news for many families for whom funds are a deciding factor in evacuation. My husband, however, pedaled off to work business as usual today, so I'm left wondering when he'll be home. This is one of those things where if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time... like if they decide the need a team of "essential personnel" while he's there, he'll get tapped for the job and he'll be confined to the base all weekend! Just hoping he scoots out of there early today :)
I'll check in a couple of times before it's scheduled to hit tomorrow afternoon, and I will get together a "canned post" to go off at a scheduled time tomorrow afternoon - if I break in and stop it then all is still well, if you see it, then you know we are without power, internet and cell coverage. I guess that's the best I can do notification-wise! Now all y'all up the coast further get out to your gardens and get that harvest in, it won't be there after the storm!