right now

right now

Jan 31, 2011

why, thank you!



Judy at My Freezer is Full is under the impression that I handled hubby's deployment and blogging throughout with style!  That means I succeeded in snowing all you fellow blogger friends LOL, since it was truly hellish!  If you haven't checked Judy's blog out, definitely schedule a visit, she has made a long awaited jump to a piece of property in Iowa they can call their own homestead and is busy doing all kinds of things from digging new gardens, adding fruit trees, herbs and restoring native plantings to being active in the community and remodeling - all while raising teenagers and working full time, check her out! 


Part of the deal is that I am to share 10 things you may or may not know about me.  Most of you know I am a Type A gal with a penchant for over-organization and borderline OCD, so with that one out of the way, here we go:


1.  I can get by fine with 5-6 hours of sleep.  Much more than that and I will be a groggy unproductive person.  I also hate naps.  I think they are a waste of time and I feel horrible and have a headache if I take one!


2.  My kids are a direct result of modern medicine and experimental surgical techniques, long story short I was born with two, count them, TWO - uteruses... this went undiagnosed until I was about 32 years old, kinda cool, huh?  As a result, at the age of 40 with two little guys, I am one of the "old" moms.


3.  Even as a teenager, I loved hanging out with my mom.  Mom, did you know that?  I should have told you that earlier.  She's always been able to be my best friend while still maintaining "mom status".


4.  I pretty much flunked out of college and quit after a year.  Funny thing is that when I went back as an adult I maintained a 3.85 GPA and loved it!  Amazing what a little maturity will do sometimes.


5.  I was in the Navy before I married and had kids and loved it.


6.  My head is full of useless information about the physics of underwater sound, sound propagation, nuclear submarine design and schematics.  I can tell you how the polar ice cap affects how sound transits underwater and locate a Soviet submarine under there - but I can't quite figure out how to operate my sewing machine.


7.  I worked for many years as an office manager/personal assistant/Girl Friday to a highly competent but extremely scatterbrained veterinarian.  The pay was horrible, but I loved it!  My organizational talent was put to good use and I got to deal with animals instead of people.  Not lucrative, but I went to work early every day and went home happy every night.


8.  One of my biggest fears is financial insecurity.  I'd rather have a dependable, low income than an higher income filled with uncertainty any day of the week.  It's why hubby is still in the military.  I think if it wasn't for me, he would have made the leap long ago and be raising my kids mountain-man style, a bunch of survivalist wierdos fishing and hunting for food and he'd never miss anything.  I'm all for doing that, but I want him to get that military retirement check and health care for life first.


9.  I was always picked last in elementary school for team stuff.  I've never been interested in team sports, was a marching band geek who played bass clarinet, and had bad skin.  I wasn't "pretty", I think I was more "hardy" (haha) - and now that I'm 40 I'm okay with that, and realize that I don't  need or even want everyone to like me.  Let's face it: it's not as if I like everybody I meet...


10.  I am outgoing and social, but am very choosy with who I share my true friendship with.  I am trying to change that about myself, but it's difficult since I don't get out much and it's not really the kids' or hubby's fault for not giving me the time - I honestly like my family and prefer to spend my time with them!


Now it's time to pass on the award!  It's hard to choose one blogger since I "choose" to read all of you every day for good reason.  But I am going give this award to Jane at Hard Work Homestead.  I am fairly new to following her but every time she pops up on my reader I'm anxious to see what they are up to!  Not only is she gardening and preserving like most of us, she posts on animals, about steps towards becoming sustainable off grid, making soaps, butter, pantry preparedness and all things homestead, and here's the hook... she does it for real, not because it's trendy.  I know I'll be a longtime reader, go check her out!

13 comments:

  1. Why thank you very much Erin. I am blushing as I write this. I will have to get on my thinking cap now. And I am not sure where I left it. Thank you so much for nominating me. And I would like to point out my jealousy of you getting only 5 hours of sleep. That would be like getting an extra day every week for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane so deserves your award and a million others! The woman's brain works overtime figuring out ways to be self-sufficient, crafty and innovative. And the really cool thing is that she doesn't just write about it . . . she DOES it on a daily basis. She's such an inspiration to any of us aspiring to the homestead, self-sufficient type life. YAY, JANE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three of you are such inspirational women - smart, funny and so hard-working. My spirit gets a boost reading all and any one of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to read some more insight on you Erin. I always love reading your blog posts, you have a great sense of humor and really nice family life! Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you really make me laugh! I am confident if you look at that machine as you would a sub, you'll figure it out!

    Congrats on your award and for picking Jane...I love her to death! She always keeps me thinking and I am pretty sure even though she says differently...I don't think she sleeps at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama Pea, Susan & APG, I agree, I love reading her posts every day and she is an inspiration for me to keep on trying new things and making time for them, and she's a choice I know we can all agree on!

    meemsnyc, I'm glad you can relate my humor, not everyone likes it - I can be a bit cynical and strange at times :)

    APG, I know, huh? I WILL master the machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear your deployment was hellish, because the last month hasn't been the easiest of my life! (And I am sorry it was hellish!) Nice to know even the best military moms sometimes have a hard time being a "single" mom. I love that you are stuffed full of underwater facts. We need more girls to love science. If I got to visit with you, I'd pick your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you and the Hubs talk about having another baby?

    ReplyDelete
  9. author, hang in there! Sometimes I think it's a bit easier on me since I have been in and around the military my whole life, but when you add kids into the mix that's a whole different ball game, isn't it?!

    Dani, no can do! Basically they surgically created a "fake one" for me and I had to quickly get pregnant and hope for 28 weeks... I did to 38 to everyone's surprise and quick got pregnant with Finn to further test the waters LOL. After all the incision sites I can't do any more but I was honestly so happy just to be pregnant at all, it could have been a litter of puppies for all I cared LOL! Then the lovely menopause at the age of 36, just to throw a little confetti salt in the wound heehee... happy to report life is getting better now that those years of stress are over, it's amazing what stress can do to age a person. Whenever I think I want another then I get a dog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Interesting stuff to know about you!
    And CONGRATS on your award or nomination (never heard of such a thing)!!
    I have a handful of blogs I read, and am happy with them. But now I am interested to check these other two as well! ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, thanks! I have a few blogs I "surfed" for, but most of what I follow were by following other bloggers' faves, it's easier to find compatible thinkers that way I think! Matter of fact I probably came to yours through the lovely mama pea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do the same thing when I get the baby urge. Hence all the damn critters in this house!lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on the head full of useless knowledge! :)

    ReplyDelete