right now

right now

May 20, 2011

getting out...

As of 6:30 am, I was still working on the Loch's shirt, but I did finish!  I'll have a photo once I finish Finn's shirt on Sunday (hopefully).


mastering the buttonhole!

As for the rest of the day, since we only get to have hubby awake and home from about noon Friday until Saturday night,  as soon as the kids came home from school, we headed out to the Wildlife Refuge.  While not my "secret spot" it is my favorite spot, as there is about NOBODY there ever, and the wildlife and unspoiled beaches are amazing.  Here you can walk or ride bike from our side right into NC where the wild horses are.  Nothing but a few birds and a fox spotted today.  The weather was about perfect, a cool 71 degrees with cloudy skies, and the rain held off until just as we were safely back in the car.  I love how close we live to all of this, and that we can be there, hike, see the beach and back home again all between after school & dinner time.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and had to use my iphone camera and it's horrible!  Although I'm proud to say I'm still using a 1st Generation iPhone, LOL!  It's like an antique now, like a favorite old car.

Finn is freaking out over some random mosquito or dragonfly here...if you remember from all our "training sessions" last summer, Finn is not much of an "outdoorsman", that's Loch.  Although he surprised me over Christmas when he snowshoed quite a distance at Mama Pea's house and none of us were holding him at gunpoint to do it.  He actually had a great time and did well, so I had high hopes for him this afternoon, but it was not to be :)


out to the beach...


this is what our area should look like, instead of flat beaches and strips of garish hotels... this is one of only 2 places in the area that are still this way, and that's only because they are protected areas.




I'm just experimenting here, which do you like - the one with sky below or the one without the sky in it just going off to nowhere?  Of course if I had a decent camera...



We had a nice dinner of snow peas, bread sticks (my sourdough loaf didn't rise, so breadsticks they became!), BBQ'd chicken wings, bratwurst and homebrewed Double IPA - for the adults anyway :)  Celebrating what is probably the last "nice" day... temps supposed to be back to the more normal high 80's next week, these cool temps were too good to last, but we sure appreciated them.  That's probably why my peas were so productive this year, usually by the time they flower, the heat is taking them out.

Next up is family reading night tonight, we are on to "Little Town on the Prairie", I love Friday nights!

11 comments:

  1. You guys sure know how to have a good time! Sounds like my kind of day. Your favorite beach spot is beautiful. It's rare that you find one as unspoiled as that. I get soooo mad when I see liter at the beach because some a-holes are too lazy to clean after themselves.

    BTW - These are really good pics for an iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your special beach is what I picture East Coast beaches SHOULD look like. (I like the picture with the sky in it, by the way.) What a celebratory (the boys getting to see their dad!) family Friday night you planned. Glad to see the weather cooperated! Eager to see the shirts . . . modeled by your two little handsome guys, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sky is pretty, but I like the mystery of wondering where the wooden path leads....I want to follow that one.

    What a fun day. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the Hawaiian shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect day with your family! I'm jealous! We only have a couple of beaches here that are like that (in NJ) That's where I always took my kids.

    I like both of the pictures. It's quite interesting how two pics of the same thing can be so different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the photos are bad at all! Glad you guys got to have Dad with you for the trek and looking forward to the finished shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great afternoon. I do miss being near the beach. When we lived in PA (before VA) we used to drive to NJ to the pines. You really don't expect pine trees that close to a beach. It was fabulous!
    The pictures are great. While I like both the sky and not, I think I like the mystery of the one with no sky better.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a beach within walking distance too although it's on a river. I love your pictures of the walkways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful secluded piece of heaven near your house! How great that you have such access to this beach and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day- I agree with AUNTIE-GRANNY such a mysterious board walk-and than it came to me as I go back and look at the material on those shirts for the boys--they are practically identical to a outfit my grandsons other grandparents brought back from there cruise [ one I will never be on ] and I'm sure yours will be just as spiffy as there island bought one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thomas, we will really miss this spot one day, but we'll be going on where the beautiful spots are more plentiful when we move north!
    ***
    Mama Pea, it was a nice outing. Now today we have a thing to go to this afternoon and then it's time for hubby to sleep and get ready to go to work again... looks like we aren't going to get any projects done for a long while. I feel too bad doing them when the kids never get to see their daddy.
    ***
    Gran, I like the path to nowhere too, but maybe that's because I really know the beach is just over the hill...
    ***
    Robin, funny you mention NJ, most of the plates are from there in the summertime here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. APG, I don't know if Finn's shirt will get done... I haven't started cutting it yet and it's soooooo nice outside I don't want to be inside!
    ***
    Judy, I hear that a lot from people, but our area here was all scrub pine right up to the beach at one time... now we have to go to the Preserve or all the way down to Hatteras Island to see that. The upper Outer Banks are so ugly now with all the development, and Sandbridge is hideous, people have built these homes that look like Miami instead of the Mid-Atlantic, and there are huge pastel condos blocking the views. They even have to saran wrap their stupid palm trees, you would think they would take a hint....!
    ***
    Sparkless, lucky you!
    ***
    meems, I hope we have time to make it a regular thing this year, we did last year, but hubby wasn't here so I had a smaller garden then :)
    ***
    Judy (2), I hope the kids like them!

    ReplyDelete