Outside this morning, I felt my hand around inside the pot, it was fine at the top but the bottom 1/2 of the container felt like a solid mass. After staring at the darn thing for awhile, I rummaged around in hubby's shed until I found the Dremel Tool. After attempting to cut away the bottom with this for about 15 minutes, I realized this wasn't going to work, the cut-off wheels kept zinging off and melting plastic was building up and slowing it down, ugh! I ended up doing it the old fashioned way, with a utility knife! I made sure all the soil had been loosened under the pots (ground) and broke up some of the root ball before setting them back down, bottomless, to do their thing.
I now have 4 done, 6 to go! These big square terra cotta colored plastic ones were pretty thin, but I don't know what to do about the paint buckets, there is no way I am using that Dremel tool on them, I may try actually transplant them into the ground or a bed somewhere since they are about 4 weeks younger than the big ones, and might take it better.
I certainly have my work cut out for me today - the heat index is in the mid 90's out there and humidity has me soaked, eyes burning with sweat doing this and I hope it pays off! It looks like there was a bit of a drainage issue too, even with all the holes I had originally drilled, so if not now, the plants would have soon succumbed to being confined like that. Only time will tell if I also have a disease, but for now I can rest easy knowing I did all I could...
If I lived closer, I would serve you breakfast in your garden, and give you a day's hard labor while you sipped a mint julep and laughed at me...!