right now

right now

Aug 9, 2011

Hot and Smoky


The wildfires in the Great Dismal Swamp are burning again, leaving us with air conditions that don't allow any outdoor work, although with a heat index over 100 again I wouldn't be out anyways.  The smoke is unusually heavy today and feels like you've got a tree stump on your chest trying to breathe.  It's infiltrated the house and it smells like a campfire in here!


Wildfire smoke


I'm neck deep in overhauling my entire computer system by erasing hard drives and installing software upgrades and all the fun that goes along with that.  I was tired of doing temporary fixes and figured I'd better just go ahead and devote the time to it now rather than risk waiting.  The good news is that it's a mac, so it's never really dead, it just needed some "me" time :)  I apologize if I missed any of your blogs, it looks like all my blogger reader settings migrated fine but I can never be sure without visiting every blog!  This is all incredibly interesting stuff, right?! 

Another reason for quiet on my end the past few days deserves its own post...

7 comments:

  1. You have not caught a break this summer! There is nothing like thick smoke in 90% humidity conditions. How long do you have to stay there again??? I love (in a perverse way) that teaser sentence at the end. What reason? Dish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for heaven's sake! That is horrible! Stay inside where it's at least cool if not for the smell! I know what you mean about computer woes. Mine has been acting up since the lightening and I just need to have some quality time with it too. Instead I just keep fighting and getting booted off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? What? WHAT?? Not nice to tease us (and make us worry) like that! You'd better get that other post with explanation up soon or bad things will happen to you, little girlie, bad things!

    That smoke you're having to endure is like something I've never even seen. Occasionally, we're getting a whiff of the fires in Canada but we can't actually see the smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm digging taters this week.....how about coming up here and helping. It's supposed to be nice and cool for the next few days. And no smoke.
    (and bring a few tomatoes too, while you're at it!)
    I have no shame. I'll try anything. I need a tomato.................................
    :D
    Well, it's good INDOOR time I suppose....good for projects like your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yuck. How terrible for people with breathing problems. I would say it is time for you guys to get out of Dodge and take another vacation until that passes. Or is that where you have been, hum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well gosh everyone, now I feel bad for leaving this post with that last line... no, it wasn't anything lovely like getting goats or chickens, sadly, but now the new post is up and I've dashed your goat hopes, haven't I?!

    The smoke has let up a bit tonight but I can still see the heavy line in the distance, it kind of looks like the edge of a hurricane, eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that smokey air isn't fun to breath. I hope the fires go out soon so you can get some fresh air again and the temps go down so you can enjoy the last bit of summer and garden.

    ReplyDelete