right now

right now

Sep 21, 2010

Finally - Tomatoes and Lettuce at the same time!

This morning when I went out to harvest the yard long beans, I noted there was a red tomato also waiting for me! I have been tomato-less for about a month already, so this was nice. I ripped out all but one plant in a container that was still lush and healthy. It had blossom drop all season but now is covered with 8 green tomatoes! The ink has faded on my marker but from it's blackish appearance I think it's either an Heirloom Vorlon or Paul Robeson, and a small one at that!

The yard long beans/Chinese Long beans are producing like mad! All these weeks/months of harvesting came from 6 seeds grown on the same arch, 3 planted on each side. Actually 4 or 5 since they didn't all make it past the seedling stage.

Also in the above pic are the first Cascade Hops harvested! It's only the 1st year of das Biergarten so I wasn't expecting much from the rhizomes quite yet but its exciting nontheless! They will be preserved by freezing the whole cones and used for dry-hopping a later brew. There are hundreds of cones out there still waiting, but many this year are too small to be of any use, and some are being eaten by insects. Since year 1 is kind of a watch and wait year, I'm not worried but it appears they will need spraying next year on a schedule similar to the fruit trees.


Above & below: took some time out of the party prep schedule to blanch and freeze the yard beans and the remainder of the corn. Not much corn, but 2 dinners worth in the freezer is better than none!

And the most amazing thing that happened today: Tomatoes & Lettuce at the same time! Tonight was taco night and since I had a fresh tomato and no need to keep it for saucing, I happily chopped it and thought "sure would be nice to have some lettuce"... so I actually just took an entire seedling from the raised bed and tore it up LOL. I am in shock, due to the heat here I haven't had fresh greens since early May!!!! Of course the seeds are sprouting now, but at the rate I'm stealing entire 3 inch tall plants I will have to sow more on a daily basis :)

Not much lettuce, but it sure was good!



12 comments:

  1. That tomato sure is beautiful with that deep red/purple color. Congrats on getting lettuce and tomatoes at the same time! I'm hoping for the same good fortune in a couple of weeks, hopefully when my Jelly Bean tomatoes finally ripens and some fall lettuce matures early. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, so glad you got to enjoy lettuce & tomato together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, resorting to stealing. My lettuce seeds didn't germinate very well, so I have to reseed too.

    Can you believe we are in for 3 days of 90 degree temps starting tomorrow? Are you getting it there too? I have so enjoyed having the a/c off and the cool nights with the breeze blowing the sheers. Guess I should get the seeds in the ground tomorrow to take advantage of the warmer garden soil.

    Those taco sure sound good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those yard long beans are just AMAZING. Just think, if you planted an eight foot long row of them, you could feed the whole U.S. of A.! Gotta get some of those seeds to try.

    Tacos for dinner . . . yum. Especially with that fresh green lettuce you stole. I mean harvested. If I hadn't just eaten, my tummy would be a'growlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What!@? You had an integrated salad!?? I'm so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could get some lettuce from my garden. I'm not sure it liked the 60 degree weather we had all last week. Hopefully the 70s this week will get it growing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope my yard long beans do as well as yours. They're just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing that you've gotten so many yard long beans from just 6 seeds. Now I'm kicking myself in the bum for not planting them this year. I hope the seeds will remain viable for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin - am going to try these beans next year, do they taste good? and don't worry about your hops it growing exponentially each year - peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am going to try those beans next year. I'm sure my kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those beans look awesome! I'm going to have to try to grow some next year.
    I'm going to hear David Suzuki talk tonight about sustainability. Hopefully he'll have some great ideas on how people can go about this in the average home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just watch everyone hate the beans next year and you all boycott me LOL! Really I LOVE them!

    And it's 90ยบ again! On the first day of fall, it's just so wrong...

    ReplyDelete