right now

right now

Jul 24, 2012

"Little Mockers" and other things...

We have a new addition!


note the evil feather-horns indicating future personality!

I'm sure most of you know by now my fondness for our longtime resident mockingbird "Mockers" - this year I was able to get a close up photo of the little one!  Even though Mockers was dive-bombing my head the whole time and attack-swooshing my hair with her feathers I was determined to get a photo.  Hubby and kids were huddled together on the porch looking scared but I just love Mockers' antics, and I'm not afraid of her relocating because of my interference, she knows me well :)  I even feed her mealworms in an attempt to stop the attacks but to no avail!  I have a thing for animals with a nasty disposition so it's all fine with me.  

Other happenings... Jody you were right, I had another 40 lbs of tomatoes waiting for me as soon as I finished canning that big harvest last week!  There will be no rest for awhile...

Yesterday's harvest:


the B.L.T. dinner didn't make a dent of course so I spent the rest of the day yesterday canning sauce -


I could eat those every day, so yummy!

I'll spare you the tomato sauce canning photos, but here's a strange situation this year...


I think I'm allergic to tomato seeds stuck to my feet!  Don't laugh, I'm serious!  Never happened before, but this year every time I'm squeezing tomatoes (and we know that mess gets everywhere), if I get tomato seeds stuck/dried to my feet or legs I break out in a rash!  At first I thought it was mosquito bites from harvesting, but hubs has been doing all the tomato harvesting for my last few canning adventures, I didn't even go out there.  And get this... hands, arms, face, etc is not bothered, only my feet LOL.  I've been slathering old school calamine lotion on and it does the trick but last night I went to run an errand and looked down to find that I left the house looking like that - ok, now you can laugh!  Anyone else ever had a reaction to tomato seeds?  I think bean leaves are the only other thing that really bothers me, but I know that one is common.

This is what is going on right now...


New heat pump for the rental!  That's an expensive stress reliever but it's such a relief knowing the system is new going into the upcoming deployment.  That just leaves water heater explosions, well pump issues and car trouble as the next deployment challenges :)  It's supposed to be 107º today and these guys have to work outside and in the attic where the air handler is, can you imagine?  Must be about 125º up there, they certainly earn their pay.  I will keep them in cold water and popsicles today!

27 comments:

  1. I love the look on that birds face. I can just imagine the words that would be coming from that beak. And I do get itchy from tomato leaves, never had a problem with the seeds. Zucchini leaves make me itch too. That is a very strange one. I still think Mother Nature is out to get us all. I guess yours is through tomato seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, funny the leaves don't bother me, I'm thankful for that at least!

      Delete
  2. Poor guys, poor you! I just do arm breakouts with tomatoes and squash and some other things. Go figure. The mocking baby is too cute and good luck going through all those tomatoes. Carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefaneener, I'm glad it doesn't bother my arms or I'd be a mess LOL!

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a face! You can really read the personality in that little bird. I've never heard of allergies to tomato seeds before, but why not? I am still in awe of your tomato bumper crop. But I am not in any way envious of not having to spend hours over a hot canner. Yet, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I can't quite believe the tomato crop this year either - maybe 107 degrees day in and day out halts blight LOL?

      Delete
  4. You getting dive bombed by Mockers was worth it - the picture is awesome!
    Another 40 pounds of tomatoes? I'm starting to think your garden is on steroids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anke, that darn bird LOL... a few years ago it was so bad I had to hold an umbrella over my head when I went to the garden because she would actually attack my head, now it's more of a wing flapping in my face kind of thing. She always hops around the sides of the bed that I'm working in squawking at me :)

      Delete
  5. I'm starting to think I am allergic also. The plants make me itch something terrible when I harvest. I hate when the seeds get everywhere when I squeeze the tomatoes. I started covering the counter with a large towel. It seems to catch the excess seeds and juice so they don't go all over the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggi, I don't even bother covering things anymore, I gave up years ago LOL now I just wipe the walls down when I'm done. Hubby picked a tomato seed off my eyelid when he came home hahaha!

      Delete
  6. I couldn't imagine working in that heat. They certainly earn their money!

    I'm not allergic to tomatoes--but I have to peel potatoes under running water or I get a rash. How weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the baby bird picture! And wow that is a lot of tomatoes to deal with.
    I've never heard of anyone being sensitive to tomato seeds. Maybe it's just the acid in the tomato drying on your skin that gives you the rash? Try putting a tomato seed on your arm to dry and see if you get the same thing. With your hands they are always being washed so none of the tomato dries on them, I'm assuming. If you have dried seeds on your arms or face and don't get a rash then I have no idea.

    I'm laughing to think you went out with lotion like that on your legs. hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparkless, they don't bother me anywhere except the tops of my feet and ankles LOL

      Delete
  8. I like the look on the "little mocker "too,he looks to be saying ,"are you stalking me Erin" "gonna get cha" .If I set up a pipe line ,I think you have enough tomato juice to just make it to my kichen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, that bird is no joke, she will definitely get me!

      Delete
  9. All right, I'm dying of curiosity! I can't stand it anymore! What did Loch do to his leg, several posts ago??? I looked and looked through your posts, but I couldn't find it. Am I just blind? I need to know!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, LOL I completely forgot!!! I will have the answer in the next post - it's not all that weird but it's a little cringe-worthy if you are a mom :)

      Delete
  10. That picture you captured is precious! A face only a mother could love, as they say.

    I have no sympathy for you because you are able to grow all those gorgeous tomatoes. (Yes, I'm green with envy, why do you ask?)

    I've always used calamine lotion liberally for all my bites, have forgotten about it and have gone out in public with huge splotches of it on my neck, arms and legs. I slather in on so heavily it usually cracks. I probably look contagious.

    I'm with Jo . . . what caused Loch's strange marks on his leg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea, yes I am lucky this year to be getting anything from those plants out there!

      Delete
  11. Yeah, what happened to Loch's leg? Do tell!
    I love the way the little bird is perfectly composed in the center of that diamond shaped frame of the rose brambles. You couldn't have assembled the elements of your picture better if you had placed each piece by hand. Nicely done! At our local Master Gardener Symposium they have a photo contest and that one would be a sure winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trailshome, ha that was definitely luck getting that photo!

      Delete
  12. I've popped over from visiting Mama Pea and love, LOVE your little bird photo! What a great shot! It was interesting what you shared about your allergy to tomato seeds this year, as for the first time this year, I think I'm allergic to zucchini juice. If I'm processing a lot of zucchini, the skin on my hand starts feeling real weird, shrivels up and starts peeling off right in front of my eyes. Ranks at the top of weirdness.... and your post and some of your reader's comments is making me feel better so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, welcome! It looks like you are in good company here with strange reactions, we have tomatoes, zucchini, even potato rashes :)

      Delete
  13. hmm, well tomatoes are a nightshade, maybe you have a sensitivity to them. Our hands and faces tend to be more resistant to that sort of thing because they are exposed to so much every day. It could also be that if you shaved your legs recently the tiny abrasions left by a razor made them more sensitive. I used to react to my cats after shaving, when they'd rub against my ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tomato harvest and hilarious bird photo are definite day-brighteners. So great to see them! Sorry about the rash, though. Hope it isn't the long-lasting kind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little Mocker is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete