right now

right now

Oct 3, 2011

SUN.... available as a limited time offer!

Hurry before this sun offer expires! 

Seriously, we are going on something like day 14 of rain.  This past weekend we saw the sun for a few hours each morning before the showers started, enough to get the lawn mowed, and (drumroll, please) I finally got my garden cleaned up of all traces of summer's dead stuff!

Ta-Da! 


Now I'm ready to get some lettuces and garlic in there, just as soon as it stops raining again :).  

One really nice thing happened on Friday night, we had a big wind/rainstorm sweep in and we dropped a good 20º in the span of an hour and we are now really enjoying fall temps, for real this time.  We went from highs in the mid 80's all last week to highs in the mid 60's this weekend, very welcome, as my electric bill really NEEDS a month off. 

Below are the very last of the peppers, I promise this time!  I know this because I actually pulled every single plant out there, so there is actually no veggies of any kind out there right now except some green onions and chives.  I should have been better about getting some fall stuff in earlier but with putting the house on the market I just had my hands full and stress high already.  I have plenty to keep me busy today with chopping and freezing these, and hopefully canning the big basket of Poblanos on the left as roasted Ancho Chiles tomorrow.  I still also have some Butternut Squash that needs to be cubed and pressure canned, as I don't think it will keep for the winter well in our climate with no basement.


Finn took advantage of the few hours of sun to have the neighborhood ladies line up for a little bike maintenance :)


Today, wow - it's still 48º at noon and the dark clouds have rolled back in, so I'll be doing this....


Oh, grid rulers, fabric and math, how I've missed you!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like we have similar weather, but there was some snow in the mountains here. A little too fall if you ask me. I can't believe you have your garden cleaned up all ready! I quit looking at it so I don't even have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the fall temps too but the sun is still here. There aren't any fall gardens here the frost and snow would kill pretty much anything. So I'm done gardening for the year too.
    Can't wait to see what you quilt this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My golly-gosh, you have had the rain lately! Cleaning the flower beds, berry patches and little bit of garden I had this year has been on my mind a lot but I MUST get the last of this polying done in any good weather available. That's what I'm doing today. Just came in to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. (Third grade brown bag lunch, anyone?)

    You're gonna quilt?? Wait, I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you must have done your garden clean-up in hip boots! I haven't had the nerve to go out and finish mine. I have been following the Jane Rule. I don't look at it. Are there quilting projects in your (near) future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, it is cold today! The sun is supposed to be out on Wednesday. I can't wait!

    So, what are you quilting???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, wow, snow already? Seems like we aren't going to get any "in between" this year.
    ***
    Sparkless, I'm actually a bit jealous of those of you who can't garden in the winter, I feel like such a "poser" if I'm not out there doing SOMETHING up until December LOL.
    ***
    Mama Pea, pack up yer peanut butter, grab your rulers, swing by and pick up APG and head on over LOL!
    ***
    Susan, honestly I think the house being on the market is what spurred me to clean up the dead stuff, otherwise I dunno.... !
    ***
    Robin, brrrr is right!
    ***

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all you who inquired, I have two baby quilts to make! I'm excited since the size is smaller I won't dread having to pin the darn things on the floor. I have one for my new nephew in Minnesota (my brother's baby), and another for hubby's sister who is due to have a baby girl in November! I guess I learned to quilt just in time for our younger siblings to start having kids LOL (hubby and I are both the oldest of our families' kids)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sound great, especially a little time to do something you love! Beautiful clean gardens, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have too much rain and we could really use some. I really don't want to water the garden anymore in October, but I might have to if I want the lettuce to keep growing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm making two baby quilts, too! I'm slow, they might turn into high school graduation pillow cases instead. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. what you got on the back burner there friend-gonna make another pretty bag? I still think you should have had a pepper stand,I have never seen so many peppers in my life as what you grew this year ,not even in the grocery store.did we blow enough cool breezes your way,I'm glad its cooled down for you, and how come we never hear about the mysterious paw paw fruit from Virginia. I never knew it existed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabric, yes. Math, no. I'd have to let the boy figure all that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patty, it's been too long since I've done any of my hobbies :)
    ***
    Anke, I wish I could send it your way, the last month I'm reminded of when I lived in WA!
    ***
    Tina, LMBO! Too funny... but that's awesome you are quilting too, I always feel weird switching gears in the fall and afraid nobody will be interested in anything I do in the winter, but there's lots of enablers out there hahaha!
    ***
    Judy, LOL WHAT??? Paw Paw is definitely not here, that's Florida girlfriend! There's a town called that, but that's in West Virginia :)
    ***
    Ribbit, I swear if they taught quilting for geometry in high school I would have done much, much better - who knew I liked math so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you had some sun! Gardens are looking good considering! I can't wait to start sewing again either! It's calling to me loudly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking good. I can't wait for the weather to really turn, My goal is to do some sewing and quilting this winter.
    Baby quilts are so much fun. They are much less daunting than big ones.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finn is quite the ladies man! ;)

    ReplyDelete