right now

right now

Aug 18, 2009

Here we go...!


Well, the time has finally come...tomato sauce season! Tonight is my first large batch. About 30 Heirlooms went into this one, a combination of Brandywine, True Black Brandywine, and a few Black Krims and some of our garlic, shallots, peppers, and basil. I threw the rest of the bottle of red wine that I opened last night in too. It's different every time, lol...whatever I have laying on the counter is going in there! I forgot how good this stuff smells. We left for an hour and came back and I could smell the crock pot simmering from 15 feet outside the front door!


Here are two of the Brandywines picked this morning. The shapes are always amusing, but these two weighed in at 1.1 lb and 1.26 lbs each!

That's all I got today, folks! Gotta go and get messy with sauce!

7 comments:

  1. Ooo, I finally made my first sauce this week as well. And so it begins....
    Good luck.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I can almost smell it . . . not quite, but almost.

    Love your lumpy-dumpy heirloom tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, can't believe you make the time for all this when you have so much going on at the new house! Mama Pea, every time you mention my heirlooms, you remind me that I will have to rethink my plantings when my husband retires from the Navy and we move back home! Although I welcome the challenge! It's always so fun to learn a new zone! I guess the downside will be sacrificing my early spring and late fall plantings, but the upside is definitley the fact that there are BASEMENTS up north! Of course a boon to gardeners...out here NOBODY has basements due to the extremely high water table so our options for storing canned goods and taters are limited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm i can smell it from here! i haven't had a tomato yet, despite planting over 20 heirlooms - we keep tiny tims and yellow pear tomatoes in the windows over winter and they produce much, much more than you would assume - tomatoes are perennials you know - but we can't wait for the big succulent ones you can only get in summmer - i just love watching your kitchen - peace for all

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello-I just popped in from RuralRoses' blog. Love your pictures-I would kill for a Brandywine!! I miss them so much but unfortunatly, northern Michigan doesn't have a long enough season for them. Sigh. Well, at least I can look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, thanks for stopping by! I know when we move back home to MN someday I will miss my heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete