right now

right now

Jan 25, 2013

Snow Day at the Beach!

Started the morning off with a forecast of snow and I was needing a break from knitting the sweater from hell (6 weeks and still knitting!), so I decided to knit up a quick thing... no, it's not a squid!


It's a scarf!  I had about 80 yards of handspun wool that worked perfectly for this fun knit, start to finish in under an hour and I was wearing it by 10 am.  Size 17 needles!


The kids were off school all day for a teacher work day so thankfully they won't have to make this snow day up, since they would have called off school here for sure.  Virginia doesn't deal well with this stuff....

this afternoon...


seriously, people?


a fun side note for my Minnesota friends - our newest meteorologist here is from Duluth!  That brings the number of meteorologists here that hail from MN to THREE... what are you people doing to them up there?!

 "the new guy"


FINALLY, at about 4 pm the snow started coming down quickly and the kids headed out to play.  Finn asked me for the snowshoes and I lied and told him we left them at grandma's house - otherwise I would have had to crawl up in the attic just so my kid could snowshoe around the neighborhood in grass with a few flakes of snow mixed into it!

I'm not sure if this is a battle cry or he is waiting for the snow to fill up the snow block maker - even though I am a Minnesota girl, I am constantly reminded that my kids are Virginians through and through!  Times like this I just shake my head.


No mud rooms here in the south, so now I have that lovely mixture of wet clothes all over the living room floor and dogs with melting snow puddles around them.

I'm nice and warm inside here and have a million things I could be doing but I just love looking out the window at the snow in the streetlight... so peaceful!


I think the kids are going to bed early and tonight is the night to get started on weeding through all the seed catalogs that have been piling up.  I sure would love a real wood burning fireplace tonight!


We should end up with about 3-4" tonight, I hope you are all staying warm!





17 comments:

  1. Kids love snow no matter how little or how much falls it's irresistible to them.
    We had a bit more snow last night. It looks like there's about a foot on the ground but the snow piles are much higher. Forecast is calling for warming temps and rain so it will melt fast.
    Every time I see your apple background I start craving apples. Have fun with your seed catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparkless, I would love it if our snow stayed awhile but I would be surprised if it isn't gone by Monday morning and temps go back into the 60's!

      Delete
  2. Wishing you warm thoughts of real fires burning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DFW, Someday, someday... I will have that fireplace!

      Delete
  3. Cute scarf! I think you will end up with about as much snow than we have had all season- we've only had about 5 inches all winter. sigh. But at least we got to go sledding once this year. Last year it was none.
    Have fun with your seed catalogues. I may do that this evening as well. The boys are playing video games (Woohoo, it's the weekend!) and Vernon is sick. I could sew but I was up late last night cutting out a jacket and I'm just not feeling it tonight. But seeds... maybe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, that is crazy... I heard from family back home that you don't even have much snow in that area to go with those insanely cold temps you have been having, so wacky!

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your snow. But those drivers! How do they manage those disasters on so little snow and slipperiness?

    My seed orders are ready to go except I'm testing the germination on eight varieties of lettuce I couldn't get to grow last season. It should have been good seed so they are on my counter in damp paper towels in plastic baggies. Soon as I determine which ones really are good, and which are not, I can complete my order.

    How about a peek at that sweater from hell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea, I don't know what the deal is here - Loch even said something to the effect of "well, you won't get cold and can drive just fine in this mom..." I told him it's not that northern people are better drivers or particularly like freezing, but we do know how to dress properly for it and slow the heck down when it's snowing LOL... I don't think anyone here actually bothers to slow down and stop tailgating!

      Delete
  5. Snow. Blechhhh! You can keep it. We came from Chicago & moved down here and have the same problem your area seems to have; people completely go dorky when there's a sixteenth of an inch of snow. The town shuts down if there's over an inch. Although I have to admit, I'm becoming a bit paranoid if I have to drive in it. But mostly because of the OTHER wacko's on the road.

    I second Mama Pea's request for a peek at the sweater from hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, part of the scariness here I think is because of all our military bases we have drivers with license plates from all 50 states so we get the timid frightened drivers and the experienced drivers and then the crazy insane drivers all mixed together.... bam!

      Delete
  6. Haha! I'm a Virginian through and through. I get excited over the flakes. However, my husband from Upstate NY thinks we are all wimps. I love the scarf! I may have to try something similar in crochet, since I don't know how to knit. I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, glad you stopped in! That scarf would be awesome in crochet as well, it's super simple! The pattern is called The Neck's Big Thing and can be found at http://blog.loopsknitting.com/2011/11/necks-big-thing.html

      Delete
  7. The scarf does look like a fun knit. Size 17 needles, I don't think I've ever seen needles that big. ;-)People in AL don't deal well with snow either. They actually delayed school by two hours yesterday because they THOUGHT we might get freezing rain. It never happened, but at least the girls were happy to get two hours of extra sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anke, I even have a pair of 19 needles LOL! Right now I am hoping that the local Recreation Center cancels today's swim meet due to the roads!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great scarf! Honestly, until this month, we didn't see any more snow that you just got. My kids were out trying to sled and snowboard in it. I should have taken pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patty, I hope you get some more snow, your area really depends on that white stuff for moisture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can tell those drivers are not from Duluth! I had to laugh - we get the same results here as soon as the first snow falls. It's as if they completely wipe out any memory of snow every winter. I love the pics of the boys - it must be fun at that age. Mine? Not so much....

    ReplyDelete